Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Whats in a Name?

October 1999
Wednesday night.

Ashleigh smiled as he walked up to his apartment building. It was seven in the evening and Mr. Pena's apartment light was off. That could only mean that he was probably out playing bingo and hitting on the senior ladies once again and if that was the case Ashleigh could play his guitar without bothering the old man.

"Hey Ashleigh." Came a shout from the building steps. "It’s about time you came home. I thought I was going to have to find a new tenant."

Ashleigh Increased his pace to get to the steps "Well damn Margaret, I've been gone on longer business trips and you didn't sell my place then."

"Yea but I need to get a new tenant that will pay more for your place."

"You could always raise my rent."

"What and risk you moving out? No i guess I'll just let you stay around. No one else but you would live in that shit hole anyway."

"Okay Margaret I've had tough few days at work dealing with car problems and I'm going to go unwind."

"Oh and Ashleigh I don't want Mr. Pena complaining to me again about your guitar playing."

"Well I guess I'll have to learn to play something he likes. Maybe then he wont have anything to complain about."

Ashley said nothing more to Margaret as he slipped down the hall and into his apartment. Switching on the light he saw that his guitar was laying on his bed just where he left it the previous morning.

"Evening darling. It’s good to see ya. Give me a few moments to change into something comfortable and you and I can try and make music together."

He spent a few moments changing out of his work clothes and slipping into his flannel pants and gray sweater. After he rummaged around his kitchen for a quick bite to eat and beer to wet his throat he strolled back to the guitar and sat down on the bed.

"Okay I've got a song in mind that just might just fit you. Now the last time I played this song darling it was in front of a packed crowd and to be honest I was scared out of my mind. Lets see if more then a decade and not having my voice crack every other line helps."

Ashleigh spent a few moments fine tuning the strings and pulling a subway token out of his pocket to use as a make shift pick. Finally forgetting where he was his fingers began to take control. The opening beat rang in his soul and he was once again back on stage. Any fear he once had washed away replaced with the desire to sing out.

Oh Suzie Q
Oh Suzie Q Baby I love you
Suzie Q

I like the way you walk
I like the way you talk
I like the way you walk I like the way you talk
Suzie Q

Oh say that you’ll be true
Oh say that you’ll be true and never leave me blue
Suzie Q

Oh say that you’ll be mine
Oh say that you’ll be mine Baby all the time

Oh, Suzie Q
Oh, Suzie Q, Baby, I love you
Suzie Q

After letting the last few cords ring out Ashleigh smiled before speaking again.

“Okay Suzie you played that beautifully. Let’s see what else we can do together.”


No comments: